Contact Tags vs. Contact Types
Understanding Contact Tags and Contact Types
In this guide, we’ll explain how to use contact tags and contact types and explore how they can be effectively utilized.
Contact Types: Defining Fundamental Roles
Contact types are like big groups that help you organize your contacts based on their main roles or positions related to your business. For example, you could make contact types such as “Cash Buyers,” “Partners,” or “Realtors.”
When you navigate to Settings > Contact Settings, at the bottom table you will see the Contact Type.
- Click on +New Type, and enter the name for this Contact Type, then click Create.
- Click on Manage to start customizing the Contact type you just created by adding Custom Fields.
- These custom fields are great use to tailor to what kind of contact type this is. These fields can encompass various data types like numbers, dates, times, text areas, phone numbers, or currencies. For example, when dealing with “Buyers,” you could incorporate custom fields to capture their budget range, preferred property type, and desired market or county for purchase.
The customizable custom fields give you the ability to organize the data that matters most for your contacts.
This helps you better understand their preferences and requirements.
Contact Tags: Labels for Sorting and Organization
Unlike contact types, contact tags serve as markers or labels that can be applied to contacts for sorting and organizational purposes.
These tags do not possess custom fields like Contact Types to hold extra data but Contact Tags function as identifiers that you can create and apply based on your business’s unique categories.
Tags are like labels that help you filter and handle your contacts in a flexible way.
For instance, you might use tags to indicate the responsible team member for a specific contact or to denote a contact’s status as a seller, buyer, or contractor.
Tags offer a flexible way to sort and manage your contacts. They allow you to organize contacts into specific groups, making it simple to find them when you need to.
In summary, contact types and tags each fulfill distinct roles within the system.
- Contact Types enable you to segment contacts based on fundamental roles and gather custom data,
- while Contact Tags provide labels for categorization and filtering.
We hope this article has clarified the distinction between contact tags and contact types.
We have incoming changes to Contact Types! To know more, please visit: Release Notes
For any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out at [email protected]. We’re always happy to help!