A2P 10DLC Onboarding
Table of Contents
- What is A2P 10DLC
- What you need to do
- Benefits of using A2P 10DLC
- Drawbacks of using A2P 10DLC
- How to register for A2P 10DLC
- How to send messages with A2P 10DLC
- Compliance with A2P 10DLC
What is A2P 10DLC?
A2P 10DLC stands for Application-to-Person 10-digit long code. It is a new way for businesses to send SMS messages to consumers in the United States. A2P 10DLC is designed to improve the delivery and reliability of SMS messages, while also reducing spam and improving the overall user experience.
Basically, it allows businesses to send Application-to-Person (A2P) type messaging via standard 10-digit long code (10DLC) phone numbers. Carriers in the US consider all Twilio traffic to be A2P.
What do I need to do?
If you do not send any messages to users in the United States using long code numbers, you do not need to do anything.
If you send messages to the United States using long code numbers you have the following registration options based on your Tax ID status, volume, and use case:
- If you have a Tax ID (EIN – Employer Identification Number) and send under 6,000 message segments per day, you should re-register for Low Volume Standard Brands
- If you have a Tax ID (EIN) and send over 6,000 message segments per day, you should register for appropriate campaign types within Standard Brands
- If you don’t have a Tax ID (EIN), you should register a Sole Proprietor Brand
Benefits of using A2P 10DLC
There are a number of benefits to using A2P 10DLC, including:
- Improved delivery and reliability: A2P 10DLC messages are delivered through a dedicated channel, which helps to reduce spam and ensure that your messages are delivered to the intended recipient.
- Increased engagement: A2P 10DLC messages are more likely to be opened and read than traditional SMS messages. This is because recipients have opted in to receive these messages, and they are therefore more likely to be interested in the content.
- Improved brand reputation: A2P 10DLC messages can help to improve your brand reputation by providing a more positive and personalized customer experience.
Drawbacks of using A2P 10DLC
There are a few drawbacks to using A2P 10DLC, including:
- Cost: There is a cost associated with registering for and using A2P 10DLC. The cost varies depending on the messaging service provider you choose.
- Complexity: A2P 10DLC is a more complex system than the previous system for sending SMS messages. This can make it more difficult for businesses to get started with A2P 10DLC.
- Compliance: Businesses that use A2P 10DLC must comply with a number of regulations, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA) guidelines.
How to register A2P 10DLC
To register for A2P 10DLC, you will need to create a brand account with a messaging service provider (MSP). Once you have created a brand account, you will need to provide the following information:
- Company name: The name of your business.
- Contactinformation: Your business’s address, phone number, and email address.
- Tax ID number: Your business’s tax ID number.
How to send messages with A2P 10DLC
To send messages with A2P 10DLC, you will need to use a messaging service provider (MSP). Once you have created a brand account with an MSP, you will be able to send messages to recipients who have opted in to receive them.
Compliance with A2P 10DLC
Businesses that use A2P 10DLC must comply with a number of regulations, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA) guidelines. These regulations govern the use of A2P messaging and protect consumers from spam.
For any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out at [email protected]. We’re always happy to help!